Friday, February 13, 2009

I love this hymn! I think it tells the story for every Christian very well!

Only a Sinner by James M. Gray

Naught have I gotten but what I received.
Grace hath bestowed it, and I have believed.
Boasting excluded, pride I abase,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!

Only a sinner saved by grace!
Only a sinner saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!


Once I was foolish, and sin ruled by heart,
Causing my footsteps from God to depart.
Jesus hath found me, happy my case,
I now am a sinner saved by grace!

Only a sinner saved by grace!
Only a sinner saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!


Tears unavailing, no merit had I.
Mercy had saved me, or else I must die.
Foes had alarmed me, fearing God's face,
But now I'm a sinner saved by grace!

Only a sinner saved by grace!
Only a sinner saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!


Suffer a sinner, whose heart overflows,
Loving his Savior to tell what he knows.
Once more to tell it would I embrace,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!

Only a sinner saved by grace!
Only a sinner saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory,
I'm only a sinner saved by grace!

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    i love this hymn, too!! it does tell it all for christisns. I'm so thankful that I'm saved by God's grace and not anything that I've done. I think of you evertime I play it because you told me it was your favorite hymn.:)
    Happy Valentines Day!!
    ~Stephanie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David. Welcome to bloging! What a beautiful hymn. We don't sing it very often at our church, but I think that the words are just beautiful. I sure wish I could write like that!

    ~Lydia

    ReplyDelete